Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This is Germany... and it`s not to bad!

I'm now in Germany ya'll, until about Monday, then onto Prague for close to a week.

Last I wrote was about a week ago, so let me think about what has happened...
Ahh yes, me and my English friend Philip decided a while back to do a trip and the European mainland, looking at historical sites. Course first we had to get there, so we took the ferry from England to France then drove to Waterloo, Belgium to see the big battle site there, but as a reminder to all, just because it is a house wine does NOT mean it is the cheapest wine....

So after traveling we got out to Waterloo, which of course had a huge battle there in June 1815, which the allied forces destoryed Napleons forces in an all day battle. I had been there back in 2007 at the reenactment ''I went as a British redcoat'', but really had no time to see the site well.
After enjoying a nice afternoon there, we drove to the just as famous Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. For anyone who has seen band of Brothers, you'll know what I'm talking about AND we also got to see their foxholes in Foy and it looked close enough to the show. Quite neat.

The day after we looked about the battle area and museums, plus enjoying REALLY good food. Just can't find food like that in the states! Saw the big WW2 monument in the area, then drove out to the Malamedy massacare site which SS troopers murdered about 50-75 unarmed US GI troops. Very sad site, but interesting none the less.

After Belgium me and Philip went camping in the Hurtgen forest, tracing the sites on that WW2 battle field, including my Granddads unit, the 298th Combat Engineers. For more info on the battle I'll let Wiki handle it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_H%C3%BCrtgen_Forest

Around there we saw bunkers, museums, foxholes and found debris of war still everywhere even after well over 60 years. Glad the weather was lovely for hiking and almost forgot it was the site of so much blood and horror.
So we left the Hurtgen forest, which also is the creepest set of woods I've seen and was described by Hemmingway as ''The place where Dragons live''.

We then made our way to Koblentz Germany to some of Philip's friends live, but on the way we thought we would visit the largest US cemetery in Belgium, where 8,000 US soldiers are buired, most killed in the Hurtgen forest or in the Battle of the Bulge. Very sad and emotional.

Sad to see so many of these places, but again they are important and interesting sites too and nestled in some really pretty places and I also have found I've not stopped running into American people or things! Lots of US flags at some of the sites, or Americans or on adverts, American style cookies! Funny stuff there.

Anyhow, taking it easy here in Koblentz and off to other parts of the Rhineland until Monday, then off to new adventures in Prague!

P.S. Lots of things are mis-spelled here, mostly because the computer is a German one and thinks English is not correct German! Haha!

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I could visit around Rhineland, as that's where most of my German ancestors were from! The namesake ones who came over from Rhineland to the USA before it was the USA! I think turn of the 18th century.
    Hope you're enjoying the food :D

    ReplyDelete