Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pretty pretty good here

Hmmm, well well. Not been doing loads, just being laid back for a change. Ummm, I left off I think about a rainy day and shopping....

Soooo, after the day of shopping I found out I had... well loads more than I thought! Anyway, okay, easy enough, ship the things home. How hard could THAT be.... Really VERY hard!
For starters one must find the post office. That took about half an hour, but found a nice one. So got postcards stamped and sent. Okay, that was the easy bit for the day.
So, how to transport these items, of course I need a box and tape and an idea of how much it might cost.
Miming a box takes a few seconds, but generally even a thick post office worker will sort that out. Goal done, but now I need tape. Holy shit.....

Okay, you have tape? *Makes noise that tape makes* I pretend to have some and put it over a box... still nothing.... After 5 mins I get it through their heads that for my package I WILL need tape! For some reason *I think..* they thought the 2 tiny sticky things on the flap would be enough. Ooookay!

And of course through all this, I know NO Hungarian, and no English for them. But it got sorted in time. So I went bought some nice chocolate, loaded everything up, filled out the paperwork "poorly I think too" and found that shipping the thing and handing money over was way easier than, tape.

So with the package shipped and off I decided I need to plan my next place, which after talking with some fellas at the hostel would be the Balkans. So, okay, Croatia on Tuesday, to the capital. Easy? Ha, wrong again! So after getting my number, waiting a wee bit, I had to work on getting this train ticket. First make it clear what DATE you want, otherwise be prepared to spend 5 mins. sorting out the mess. But in all good time and a sheet of paper, all was fixed... I hope.

Now, although it seems frustrating, it really is so much fun. Its is like a puzzle that you know you can figure out, but takes time. Good way to know that the rest of the world is not automatic, oredered, perfect and all the same. In a way, seeing a Burger king here, things made in China, Coke a cola, and other American items here is kinda nice and slightly comforting, but it is no way to grow. No way to really, feel life one may say.

To see people from 1st world nations going to world wide fast food joints, designer clothing places and freaking out over little BS stuff while traveling here in Europe, just seems insane really. What an empty way to go through life. Going to KFC while in Hungary! Pffft!
No way to travel, going to KFC and eating Burgers. Get out there, make mistakes, make a fool of yourself and enjoy! Nothing more fun than looking like a babbling idiot trying to order food. Food which might end up tasting like horrible crap too.

Which brings me to the past 2 days....

So again, so clever clever of me to break up my time at hostels and just so happen book the hostel right next door. But turns out this is really a nice one too. But seems my little buddies from Krakow followed me! So spent the whole days killing the buggers in the wash and dryer. Had to put EVERYTHING not plastic through the wash. But now everything is nice and clean. So pretty much yesterday was boring. Happens in travel, but then the staff guy here suggested a flea market to go to today "Saturday".

So woke up this morning to check it out and after getting a.... maybe free bus.... I got there. Outside of the market had nice Soviet looking block lettering in Hungarian. Looked very kitch and Eastern Bloc. So the flea market was mostly a collection of crap looking little stalls with covers. or just a tent. The butchers looked alright, but not the best either. Looked like some people did all their shopping there. Mostly 40 plus people there, and the younger crowd was more limited. Really wasn't better than anything you could find in the states, except this seemed more important than US flea markets, plus I'm sure it'd been in the same place for years upon years. So really I think a whole week of shopping could be done there. Everything from dodging looking food,Playboy magizine in full sight, old soap and okay clothing could be bought there!
I think I was about the only non resident of Hungary there too. Pretty neat. Also the cooked food was dodgy, but alright I guess. I'm not sick!

Well now not sure what I'll do today now. Still need to see a few things and go to the Baths, but Sunday and Monday will work great for that.

Oh yes, along with many other lessons from this post, just because the old guy at the train station looks drunk and senile, doesn't exactly mean he won't whip you with ease at a game of chess!

If you have read down this far too, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment