Sunday, January 9, 2011

Start of the last leg home...

Well... The European part of my trip is over and what I like to call, phase 4 of my trip will soon start. I will greatly miss Europe. I have always seen great things and met some great people. This has been a really good trip for me. Nice to shake all the rust that has built up over to much work and other personal frustrations with no real break or big change. Travel really is a wonderful thing. I am so glad I have had the chance to get out and about.

Though I miss home and can't wait to get back, I'm looking forward to ANOTHER European trip, with hopefully a swing through Bulgaria. ;) Course that depends on how well I save money this summer at Fort Bridger Wyoming and if I should save up for a trip at a later point or buy other things in general. Who knows! I'll wait and see. Much of my gear is wearing out and I'll need to re-fit at the end of the trip.

Anywho, where was I, oh yeah! Well might as well cover what I've been doing the past few days in Oxford England.
Me and Philip got back from winter walking rather worn out, and we mostly did nothing most the week. He had to work and no internet at the flat so I've just been typing away at the Madding Crowd Pub here in Oxford. Its worked well enough for me and I've enjoyed having something to do all day at low cost.

Another neat thing was ringing a bell at St. Giles Church. The bell was I think from the 1850's and there was a bell in there from the 1600's as well! Got to go into the Belfry and see them all in there too. It was bat free too. FYI, this is what my friend Philip does with some of his free time so I was a guest for it.

So another day we had a drink with Philips brother David, who is a real hoot. That guy has some pretty great jokes or remarks about everything. Then another mutual friend of me and Phil showed up, Andrew, and I talked to him about his American trip plans.

For the weekend we slept in at the flat then went to David's house to watch the entire HBO series "The Pacific", then after that watched a very unintentionally funny Animal police show in Miami. Its real, and the "police" who are very fat and just really dog catchers are the biggest bunch of idiots. So it's really just like the American show called "Reno 911", but sadly real.... and funny.

What else? Oh yeah, one day I got to the Pitts River museum/Natural History museum. Saw a DoDo skeleton, the first correct and scientifically recorded Dinosaur fossil and other neat things like that. Pitt River museum is hard to describe, but it is just loaded with items of all sorts. Mostly cultural items or historic items. Stand out things was the first Enfield rifle and a Vest used in the American Civil War, except inside the wool it had metal bullet proof plate in there too.

Anyway, that is a general update of what I've been up to. But the laying about and recovering is over. Now for travel, now for adventure, now for new sights and then home to Tennessee in 6 weeks!

Thanks again for reading my blog, and keep an eye out for "hopefully" more regular updates while I'm in Egypt and Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment