Thursday, January 13, 2011

Another new day in Egypt

Well, yet another good day in Egypt here. I woke up somewhat late here and only when my Wyoming friend William woke me up once he checked in after finding out his hotel was somewhat over priced. The hostel is a good price then!

So we went over to the National Egyptian Museum and it was AMAZING! Really hard to even describe what was there and how much. Think of anything Egyptian, and it was there and lots of it. Think of all the King Tut stuff you've seen and it was there. Plus many Greek and Roman items were in there which was a pleasant surprise as well. Me and William spent many hours in there, we think 6-7 hours to see everything well. Fun for me trying to guess the era of the items too.
Afterwords we went walking around Cairo trying to find food and quickly we got to areas that had no con men and good honest people selling us tasty filling food! A fine day today it was! Really glad to see the real Cairo, though it is noisy as shit here however!

Anyway, for what happened today, you had to be there for the most part and I need more time in Egypt before writing about the feel of the nation and its people on a whole.

So, I shall talk about now.... Why do I travel and why am I doing a world trip?

********** For quick quick quick answers scroll past all the boring crap details! *************

I've been asked this and I shall explain the best I can.

So the big reason I started traveling is I always had a strong interest in history, but I was very much shy and a total home body. Not much guts for traveling. Never did anything exciting and was quite happy reading about things and seeing thing with family members, not alone.

All that changed in 2006 after securing a job at Fort Bridger Wyoming for 3 months in the summer. I was all alone for the most part and well away from family for the first time.
I clumsily started breaking out of my shell and turned 18 all at the same time. I felt like it was all rather hard and that could have been it, until..... I got back to home and went on a family trip to Virginia I think and flipped through a book about Roman Britain. I saw a neat thing with walk through Roman site around the UK and thought it looked fun.

My Dad then said something so simple when I said I would like to go there "Sure Sean, we can get you there, no problem".

That seemed to open up a whole new way of thinking for me.
Though the traveling started out as a one week trip with my Dad helping me out loads, seeing as him and my Mum went to Ireland and the UK, that same summer. So that helped loads with planning.

Then I thought about seeing more places and even staying for historical reenactment events too. My Dad encouraged me every step of the way as well. After a few months of planning, my trip was now to 5 or 6 months! About 1/3rd of the trip other people helped pay for, most of that my parents, but the other 2/3rds was me working hard and saving every dime.... Plus free food and lodging at home too!
Also some English guys coming over to Tennessee for the big Shiloh event encouraged me even more to stay for any events they had. This is also the reason I've done more American Civil War event in England than the USA since 2007.

Time came around, I did that first 5 month trip in 2007 and my life was changed forever. I felt so independent, full of life, adventuress and just plain bold after. All those new sights and smells and people and things! It was amazing! Nobody that I knew back in the states, except somewhat my parents could understand the feelings. It was amazing! All the new nations too. It truly is addictive to have these adventures. I found I could so much more with life and no longer felt like a complete loser homebody, I was starting to be a somebody I guess.

As soon as I could I got a job for 6 months, worked my butt off again and went traveling in 2008 again in the summer. After many adventures and seeing old friends and meeting great new friends, I ended back home 6 months after I started. The trip involving filming in North Africa, British museum filming, going to fun Reenactments and all the usual fun travel bits.

That winter was hard though and I thought that perhaps I could get work and travel AGAIN. But alas, no dice, no job. So I went back to Fort Bridger to work the summer of 2009.
Then I got the stupid idea of trying to get into relationships with some pretty girls and settling down in the states, all the usual stuff, and ect ect. Travel days maybe should be over. HAHAHA! What a stupid idea if I ever had one!

After 2 FAILED relationships in 2009, the last one ending badly in England. I went to a great friend of mines place and one day watched the Telly. Huh, Jeremy Clarkson from TV's Top Gear. Huh, he is flying around the earth. Huh, I have heard of a couple other people doing that. Huh, I'll fly around the earth too. No problem....

Thank you Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear, for doing a TV show on flying around the earth!
So out of the deep depths of being dumped I got back on the horse, worked my ass off big time and saved enough money and put enough on the credit card to do this trip.

Great to get back traveling again. Oh how I missed it!
Now of course this is all generally simplified, but its all pretty much true and skips the boring crap mostly.

**********BUT if you want the SUPER quick answers here they are-

Why I started traveling- My Dad, books and history related media "I.E. TV and movies"

Why I keep traveling- Crazy ass fun and very addictive

Why I'm doing a round the world trip- Jeremy Clarkson and TV


So keep an eye out on here for more random updates of my travels! Keep on reading everyone and passing this around! :) Thanks for all your support too. You know who you ARE and are not. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment