Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ahhh, back to normal and writing again!

Well, been a long break, but being sick cuts into what I can do while traveling!

Pretty much after Mostar the rest of Bosnia is a daze. Learned so much though. I DO remember that! I find that the personal stories are the best to have when it comes to history. It brings it alive even through it might have only happened 15 years ago!

Glad there was a girl I knew from Split Croatia and Mostar Bosnia there in Sarajevo too, helped keep me company while I was laid up, but then poor girl got sick after me on some eggs.
Lesson learned though, Bosnia has GREAT food, just terrible food quality control....

Anyway, gladly I had recovered the day of travel to Serbia, which was yesterday. Was raining, but I do have a waterproof jacket, so not to bad in the end. Ran into another American on the train, who I had met in Split and in Mostar as well, so made the 9 hour trip go much quicker! Also started talking to some young Bosnian guys who were pretty cool to talk to and it seemed they enjoyed MOST of the jokes I had to tell. So that helped make the time go quick too! Ahh, glad some jokes are funny everywhere.

Had to cross a few borders to get to get to Serbia, so I'm up to 34 stamps in my passport AND been to 20 nations so far! Woo! Maybe enough room for another 30-40 stamps. So need to get some more sheets in it if I want another big trip in the next 5 years. The Croatian guard laughed at my passport again, and said "Ha! California!".
Crazy Croatians! They are great people!

So, after the long trip got through alright and to the hostel in Belgrade. This really is a really pretty city, but not seen much of it yet, so might get a surprise! But doubt that. The part I'm in has all the trappings of a great Western European city. Much effort is put into the parts of the city I've seen so far. I also like walking on level sidewalks for a change too, without dog shit all over the place. That is the best part so far!

Anyway, I am rather glad to see that Serbs aren't what the media has painted, which from I gathered through my life were a bunch of large brutish men who run around hating everyone not Serbian or Russian, committing genocide and ethnic cleansing or supporting it in the very least. Then to think that the US+NATO and Serbia were at war only 11 years ago is shocking too! Apart from a couple signs in the city, nothing else is present of that. People have been friendly enough to me and my other USA chum, so I guess, the media is, SURPRISE, full of it. I knew that Serbia would be fine, but I was VERY wary too. Course can't speak for outside of Belgrade, but seems fine here.

This is why I travel. Everyone isn't out to kill you. Muslims are great people and pretty friendly and not making bomb vests. Serbs aren't the brutal psycho killers. French aren't horrid people. Then the Germans aren't to bad either! They are human beings too. Most everyone just is and goes about life without really thinking of the world outside their own lives. A great feeling to think that we are so so similar all around this huge earth of ours.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page.


Course, at the same time, Thomas Jefferson says- Traveling makes a man wiser, but less happy.

This is I think relating to seeing the darker sides of human nature while traveling... But it can also mean that your mind has been opened so much, that you think to much and if others around you haven't seen the same things, makes it frustrating. Kinda like being the smart person around stupid or ignorant people.
Course could mean something else too! Think for yourselves on this quote. :)

Either way, I LOVE TRAVEL, even if I might be less happy after I get home! However, I will be glad not to see child beggars on the street, blown up buildings and signs of war, and hatred poured out in violence to fellow humans.

Anyway, off now! Should have some great new posts soon, so keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment